It’s a poisonous gas that you can’t see, smell or taste – you might not know it’s there
Carbon monoxide is released when faulty appliances start leaking. Low exposure to the gas can cause long term damage and high levels of exposure can be fatal. Every year around 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning – and many more feel sick.
What are the Symptoms ?
They’re similar to the flu : headaches, nausea, dizziness and feeling Generally lethargic.
So look out for cold like symptoms that seem better when you leave the house but start again when you come back.
How do you protect your home against Carbon Monoxide ?
You need to get your gas appliances checked once a year and install a carbon monoxide alarm
How can I tell if my gas appliance is leaking ?
Look for stains, soot, or discolouration on ( or around ) your boiler Check the pilot light on your boiler ( normally burns blue ) If the flame is yellow or orange, you might have carbon monoxide leak I rent my home. Who should check my gas Appliances ?
It is your Landlords responsibility to arrange a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out an annual safety check on the gas appliances Keep a record of the safety check and give you a copy.
Who do I contact if I think I have a leak ?
These organisations can help if you think you have a carbon monoxide leak.
Gas Emergency Services. Tel : 0800 1 1 1 999
Gas safe Register. Tel : 0800 408 5500 (information line) Health and Safety Executive Tel : 0800 300 363 (advice line)